Saturday, January 31, 2009

Game 50 - vs. Wild

A while ago, my wife made the observation that I was "the worst fan in the world," because I always expected the Canucks to lose.

Fair comment. And certainly my pessimism never made it easier to deal with the team's crappy performance year after year--nor did it convince the hockey gods to let us have some freakin' success for once.

So I've made a conscious effort to stay on the bandwagon this year. Apart from a couple slips, I have honestly continued to "believe". Even when I've predicted a loss in a specific game, I've felt that this team could succeed over the season as a whole. And despite the hilariously awful losses this Canucks team has coughed up over the last few weeks, I do still believe.

My prediction record so far is 5-3... and the 3 errors are the last 3 losses, which I predicted as wins. Sooner or later this team is going to turn it around, and god help me I think tonight's the night. Again. I mean, if I keep predicting wins, eventually I'll be right. They can't possibly lose every game for the rest of the year. They can't. Really. I believe.

Optimistic prediction: Sundin starts to shake off the rust. Matched up with Kesler and Burrows, he finally looks like he belongs. Burrows and Kesler each get goals, assisted by Mats. Willie Mitchell's anger transforms him into an offensive dynamo--8 shots, 1 assist, 1 goal. Luongo finally plays like we all know he can. Canucks win 4-2.

Pessimistic prediction: Same old, same old. Canucks get the first goal, but Minnesota knows it's playing a weak and pathetic opponent. Defensive lapses + offensive incompetence = failure failure failure. The only way this could be worse would be for Luongo to re-injure his groin. But that won' t happen... will it? Canucks lose 3-1.

As of almost 10 a.m. Saturday I am feeling pessimistic optimistic. Really optimistic. So full of optimism I could just puke. Go Canucks go. I mean it. Just go.

No comments: